Friday, May 15, 2009

Green Chickpeas and Cabbage with Fruit

Today was an experimental menu based on one of our favorite dishes cabage with apples.  I really liked it, so maybe you will too.

Last time I was at the store I picked up some frozen green Chana , not really knowing what it was, but pleasantly surprised that - young green chickpeas!  
I could even eat them raw they are so soft.
I also picked up fresh turmeric  which is called Turmeric rhizome which has some good medicinal properties and pearl onions which are a pain to peel

Looking at some recipes online I just decided to make one up from what I had on hand. I figured that it needed some cruciferous greens (Cabbage) and something sweet.  I never cooked turmeric rhizome before, but I knew that it doesn't have a strong flavor from reading about it.  I decided to peel it like ginger with the back of a knife. The rest is history

Green Chickpeas and Cabbage with Fruit

1 cup frozen Green Garbanzo (Hare Chana)
1/2 head cabbage diced
3 -4  pearl onions halved
1 small Turmeric rhizome peeled and diced
Handful of raisins (used Hunza and Thompson)
pinch ground ginger
pinch Indian curry
Fruit (I used  1 mango cubed 1 asian pear cubed)
1 Zucchini diced
Seeds( I used 1-2 tsp hemp seeds and sunflower seeds)
Nuts? Sure why not
Avocado? Sure it would work as well

Here is how I made it
Prep the cabbage, onions, and the fruit. Rinse the Chanas in water
Warm up the pan with some water
Throw in  Chanas, cabbage, onions, mango, riaisins and spices.and cover to water saute for about 5 minutes (if you like your cabbage softer - more)  Add zucchini
If you have a soft mango you can probably throw it in later and warm  for another 2 minutes covered
Then mix it with the asian pear and the seeds/nuts or whatever you have on hand.



No comments: