Thursday, July 12, 2007

Why don't kids walk to school anymore?

A recent blog post raised an observation
Disease Proof: Kids Not Walking to School: "Even though one out of three American children live within a mile of their school, barely half of those students regularly bike or walk to class, researchers report." This report has the details.


I remember I walked to school all the time, but I do not remember many children my age walking with me from my neighborhood. So I guess there's some truth in that.

I wonder if this is due to the fact that we want our children to 'have it better then us' and we instinctively try to protect them and walking may be just too dangerous and sometimes uncomfortable (too hot, too cold, too far, too uncertain of safety) But maybe we should try to take a step back and think about being maybe too overprotective and not giving our kids the same experiences as we had. For all the reasons kids should not walk to school, we could design a simple solution.

No comments: