Wednesday, July 1, 2009

karela and guava



Last visit to my local oriental grocery store I got some karela and guava to try. Initially I sliced up the karela, that looks like a prickly cucumber but it was very hard and bitter so must be cooked. I tried it in a stirfry but it was very bitter. Second try was to marinate it in lemon juice and vinegar overnight. That turned out ok. We let guava sit until it was softer, since it looked like a pear but when I cut it open it looked /tasted like it should have had more time to ripen. The inside of it is tender, but closer to the skin was not so much. Not sweet, a mild flavor, with seeds which I couldn't chew and had to spit out. I put some in my morning smoothie, but I need to find out more about it and how to eat it/prepare it best.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Not a huge fan of guava - and it does need to be eaten when it's very ripe. You can chop it up into a salad or smoothie it.

If you try Papaya (I consider it a cousin of guava), I would recommend the opposite - get it when it's not overly ripe, while it's still crunchy. The taste is reminiscent of a carrot.

Eugene said...

That's good to know. I will try papaya when it's crunchy, but I remember that it has a sweeter taste when it's more ripe. Not big on papayas for some reason.